Thursday, March 28, 2013

People Don’t Believe I Was Once an Actress and the “Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria” - Regina Askia


Regina Askia was once the most recognizable face in Nollywood before the likes of Omotola and Geneveive showed face in the late 90’s. But after migrating to Maryland and pursuing her career as a nurse with a focus on her family, many fans of today don’t seem to remember who she previously was which she recounts in the narrative below;
“I told someone I was “Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria” more than 20 years ago and they said… Yes Regina, … I showed photos of my VGC home and the small swimming pool I had up in the back for my 7 year old ….they say you worked there? I said no that was my home and that was my driver, my daughter’s nanny and the other young woman in the picture was the maid…, they say alright Regina… when the conversation begins on my work on television back home…I get looks. The medical term for people who talk about seemingly fantastic stuff…is “Delusions of Grandeur”. My story above is not typical for a majority of the African American females so I must be some kind of afflicted? (Speaking of which am I am African American female or an African Immigrant… believe me the difference is like the night and day…)
When I talk excitedly about reopening my day care and all other exciting opportunities I embrace… I get comments like all this is so dizzying what is wrong with you… When I muse about getting that lifestyle back they say “Good luck with that and how about you just go back…lol…
I really love that I was able to experience life as a citizen of the world…. To compare and contrast and be in a position to chase my dreams on whichever side of the continent I wanted… France, England, Russia, Japan, Canada,… still contemplating South America… terrified of the drug situation…contemplating Soth America…terrified of the drug situation…
I have been so blessed and I’m so thankful. My joy in doing all the dizzying things I do is to create opportunities for others to take flight just like was created for me, to watch little miracles each day as bodies battered through years of poor choices slowly rebuild and recover (nursing), babies who could only babble grow and can spell, write their names and hold a conversation with you beyond “no”…lol. My life has truly been a joy to me and I pray in all my dizziness that it will be a blessing to countless others and I would have left this plane just a little better than I found it… so please accommodate me… thanks guys….”

1 comment:

  1. I recently reported on Forbes regarding rolex replica sale's new Facebook page here. They also have a YouTube channel that launched last year. Fake watchesRolex's social media efforts are pertinent to their overall branding efforts and mark a rather good use of the media from a communications standpoint - though like many brands, they shy away from creating or encouraging an conversant community. A new series of clever and short videos will make up the newly launched "rolex replica uk And Icons" campaign. To start, Rolex has produced two videos detailing how Andy Warhol and Elvis Presley were famous Rolex replica watches sale wearers. About 30 seconds long each, the videos have that distinct sharp sounding Rolex writing and slick production value. The message is "this guy was famous and influential... and he wore Rolex replica watches sale." Honestly, Rolex has a lot of these stories throughout history, with likely enough material for at least two dozen such videos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, please share your thoughts